Replacement and Settlement of Savings Bonds

Program description

If you live in areas declared as disaster areas by the president, you may be able to pay off your bonds before the initial 12-month holding period expires.

You can also get an expedited replacement for all printed bonds lost or destroyed in a disaster.

You can request, both liquidate and replace, a savings bond if you meet the two conditions stipulated above. Visit the  TreasuryDirect® Press Room page  to see if there are financial companies in your area that can help you pay off your bonds before this deadline.

TreasuryDirect  no longer sells or issues paper bonds. Now we only issue electronic bonds.

You can take a  guided tour of the TreasuryDirect site to learn more.

General Program Requirements

To qualify, the following two conditions must be able to apply:

  • You must have a bond that was lost or destroyed in a disaster.
  • You must live in an area declared by the president as a disaster area.

You do not need to present evidence of hardship or property damage.