Types of License and Documents Required for FSSAI Registration

Registration with the FSSAI:

Before launching any food business in India, you must first obtain an FSSAI registration or license. Traders, small eateries, restaurants, importers, exporters, grocery stores, dairy farms, retailers, and manufacturers are all included. All food businesses regulated by the FSSAI must obtain a 14-digit registration or license number, which must be displayed on food containers.

Businesses operating in the food industry should register with the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). Every food company owner or operator must register with the state, or face severe penalties. The type of registration/license is determined by the size, type, and yearly turnover of the company. Under this, you’ll find the following sorts of registration:

  • Basic Registration
  • State License
  • Central License

Basic Registration

Small businesses with a turnover of fewer than 12 lacs are included in this category. You can upgrade to a state or central license in the future as your firm grows.

State License

The state license applies to medium-sized businesses with annual revenues ranging from $12 million to $20 million.

Central License

Large businesses with a revenue of more than Rs 20 crores require a Central License. Importers and exporters, in particular, require a central license.

FSSAI Type: Based on the Size of the Company

Food producers, hotels, restaurants, and other medium-sized food enterprises must apply for a state license.

Operators of food businesses that fall under the major business category are required to obtain a central license.

FSSAI Registration Procedures:

The FSSAI registration process is extremely straightforward and consists of the following steps:

  • Submit Form A to the food and safety department as a first step.
  • The department has the authority to accept or reject your application.
  • You will be given a registration certificate once your application has been approved. You’ll also receive the registration number and a photograph.
  • Furthermore, during working hours, FBOs must display their FSSAI registration at their place of business.

Documents required for FSSAI registration include the following:

  • Letter of Authorization
  • a copy of the rental contract
  • Form of Declaration
  • Promoters of the food industry have their photo taken.
  • Form B – Signed and completed correctly
  • Plan for a food safety management system
  • Aadhaar or Voter ID Card Copies
  • A business’s electricity or water bill
  • A list of the food product’s or processed goods’ or stored products’ manufacturers
  • Articles of Association/Memorandum of Association (MOA)/Partnership Deed/Memorandum of Association (AOA)

Documents required by the FSSAI for a Central License:

The following is a list of all the documents required to obtain a central license:

  • Form B must be signed and completed correctly.
  • List of all the society’s directors/executive members, as well as their contact information (Mandatory in case of companies)
  • Equipment and machinery details, including number and installed capacity (Mandatory in case of Manufacturing & Processing Units)
  • Form of Declaration
  • Source of the raw material
  • The Ministry of Finance has issued a certificate.
  • a copy of the proof of possession of the premises
  • The Ministry of Tourism has issued a certificate.
  • 100% EOU certificate from the Ministry of Commerce
  • Documents supporting proof of turnover
  • NOC and a copy of the licence
  • Report on the mobility and analysis of water to be used in food goods
  • A list of all the food categories that will be manufactured
  • A copy of the proof of ownership of the property

FSSAI-required documents for obtaining a state licence:

You will be required to submit a set of documents when applying for a state license under the FSSAI. The following is a complete list of documents that must be submitted:

  • Form B must be signed and completed correctly.
  • The processing unit’s layout plan or blueprint
  • A complete list of directors, proprietors, trustees, and other individuals with complete contact information, including addresses.
  • Details of the installed equipment and machinery
  • Address proof and photo identification of partners, directors, authorised signatories, and others issued by government authorities
  • a list of the foods you want to eat
  • Report on the water that will be utilised in culinary goods, as well as its portability
  • Copy of the proof of possession of the property.
  • Affidavit of Proprietorship, Memorandum of Association, Partnership Deed
  • Copies of certificates issued under the Coop Act of 1861 and the Multi-State Coop Act of 2002
  • Form of Declaration
  • The Ministry of Tourism has issued a certificate.
  • a copy of the Municipality’s and local bodies’ NOC

Suggested Read- fssai license


According to the FSS Act 2006’s Rules and Regulations, every Food Business Operator (FBO) is expected to follow the act’s guidelines. Food safety officers inspect the work of FBOs on a regular basis to ensure food safety, and if any non-compliance is discovered, an improvement notice is issued to the FBOs on food quality or any other issue that has been discovered. If an FBO does not respond to the notice, his license for such an activity may be revoked.