FSSAI is an abbreviation for Food Safety and Security Authority of India. It is a government agency that is overseen by the Indian government as well as the Ministry of Health and Family Affairs. FSSAI is recognized under the Food Safety and Security Act of 2006. It is a non-profit organization whose mission is to protect the public’s health. All people involved in the food industry, whether as a manufacturer, trader or food business operator (FBO), are obliged to obtain a 14-digit FSSAI number.
suggested read- food license
Consider the following things before launching a cafe:
- Market plazas near colleges and schools, as well as large malls in commercial areas, are excellent places to begin.
- A distinct selling point (USP) – What is the café’s unique selling point? So, why should customers prefer your café over those of your competitors? Prepare a business plan and think about what will set your café apart from the competition. – Cafeterias with a theme, particularly those with books and board games, have grown in popularity in recent years.
- Funding – Before you start your firm, you must identify your financial requirements and sources of funding. Set a budget and look for the cheapest source of funding for the project.
Marketing — In an age where both traditional media and social media are saturated, a new café needs a creative, out-of-the-box marketing plan to attract customers.
SUGGESTED READ- FSSAI LICENSE
A license or registration is necessary.
Cafés meet the definitions of a commercial enterprise and a food business, hence the Indian government has intervened to regulate them. Cafés are subject to a slew of rules and regulations, and they must be properly registered in order to operate legally. As an example, below is a list of the requirements.
Depending on the legal structure of the business, there are various types of business registrations (sole proprietorship, partnership, LLP, or corporation). The Companies Act of 2013 requires the registration of a company in the case of a café. Government intervention is limited for smaller enterprises operating as private limited companies or a limited liability partnership (LLP).
As a food industry operator, a café must have an FSSAI license. So that the food and beverages available are safe, sanitary, and suitable for human consumption.
License for the Health Care Industry
To obtain this license, the café must apply to the local municipal corporation or the state’s health department. If all paperwork is in order, licenses are issued within 60 days of application.
License for a dining establishment
You must apply for this license at the nearby police station. Applicants in big cities and metropolitan areas have the option of applying online.
Certificate of fire safety
The local fire department must provide a No Objection Certificate (NOC). This certificate is granted following an inspection of the premises and the installation of recommended fire extinguishers, etc.
Music/video playing license
Before playing music or film, cafes must obtain a copyright license under the Copyright Act of 1957. A request can be filed on the websites of Phonographic Performance Limited or the Indian Performing Right Society.
Registration for Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Cafés with an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 20 lakhs must register for GST.
Shop and establishment licenses
- This license was created to protect the rights of shop workers. A Shop Act license is required for a café that employs servers, cashiers, and chefs.
The FSSAI license at the basic level requires the following documents.
ALSO READ- FSSAI REGISTRATION
- A valid government identification card (Voter ID, Passport, Driver’s License, or Aadhar card) is necessary.
- Form-B must be completed and signed in duplicate by the Proprietor, Partner, or Authorized Signatory.
- The blueprint or layout plan for your restaurant must include specific measurements (in meters) and operational-wise area allocation, including all kitchens and manufacturing departments.
- All essential staff for your restaurant, including directors, partners, and executive members of your society or trust, as well as their addresses and contact information. This is a must-have for any business.
- The equipment and machinery are detailed. This is especially true in kitchens and manufacturing facilities, in my opinion.
- The owner/partner/director must produce government-issued identification and address the evidence (s).
- A list of food categories to be offered to clients must be communicated with the marketing department of the organization.
- A photograph of the food company owner identifies him (Restaurant Owner).
- Possession of the premises must be established (eg. Rental Agreement ).
- Deed of incorporation or partnership
- A list of food items must be completed (both as inputs and as part of the final meal).
- A detailed strategy for managing food safety.